This salad has a mix of vegetables, proteins and starches that hit all the requisite flavor and textural notes – sweet, salty, tangy, fresh, crisp, soft and rich.
Can also be served as a hearty side dish w/ roasted or grilled chicken or fish.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 1 hr
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
2 large sweet potatoes (1 1/4 lbs), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 medium carrots (1/2 lb), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
8 TB EVOO
3/4 tsp kosher salt, more as needed
black pepper, as needed
2 thyme sprigs
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 C plain Greek Yogurt
2tsp fresh lemon juice
5oz (6C) spinach
2TB thinly sliced shallot
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a clean dish towel or several layers of paper towels and spreda drained chickpeas evenly on top. Pat dry with another dish towel or paper towel.
2) Toss sweet potato and carrots w/ 2 TB oil and season w/ 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet and top w/ thyme sprigs. Roast, tossing occasionally until golden brown and very tender, 40-50 min.
3) While vegetables are roasting, toss chickpeas w/ 2 TB oil, chili powder, cumin and a large pinch of salt. Spread on another rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven 10 minutes after you’ve put the potatoes and carrots, roast until crisp and golden brown, 30-40 min.
4) Using the flat side of a knife or mortar and pestle, mash the garlic w/a large pinch of salt until it forms a paste. Add it to a small bowl and whisk in yogurt and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in remaining 4TB (1/4C) oil. Season w/ salt & pepper.
5) In a large bowl, combine spinach, roasted vegetables, chickpeas and shallot. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat vegetables and greens and serve at once.